The Windy City Times recently spoke with Professor Kevin Mumford regarding his newest book, Not Straight, Not White.
- Race Relations, African American, History of Sexuality
My research focuses on race, politics, and sexuality in modern America, and how struggles over social difference and belonging unfolded in cities and institutions. I am also interested in the writing of biography and public history, particularly in how historians can address important social issues for audiences within and outside the university.
- B.A. University of Wisconsin--Madison
- M.A. Stanford University
- Ph.D. Stanford University
Distinctions / Awards
- The Binkley-Stephenson Award, Organization of American Historians, 2011
- The Audre Lorde Prize, American Historical Association, 2011
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, Erfurt Universitait, Germany, 2011
- Warren Center for Studies in American History, Harvard University, 2008
- Schomburg Fellow, Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, NEH Library Award, 2005
- Problems in African American History
- Constructions of Race
- Postwar America
- The Seventies