Proficiency exams are offered for the Fall and Spring Semesters only. We will be offering proficiency testing for HIST 141 and HIST 142. If you are interested in taking a written proficiency exam, please consult the reading list below. An online registration form will be available at this link the week before classes resume. The registration form will be open between 8AM on Monday, January 13 and 5PM on Friday, January 17.
The Spring 2020 exam date is:
Tuesday January 21 at 5 PM. Students are allowed 3 hours to complete the exam.
Exams for both classes will be available at this session; students must be pre-qualified and may test for a maximum of one class per semester. The Department prohibits the retaking of any proficiency examination which a student has failed. Additionally, the Student Code prohibits examination for credit in a subject of elementary character if more than one course has already been taken in the subject. See other restrictions below.
Spring 20, HIST 141: Western Civ to 1660 Reading List:
- Cole & Symes Western Civilizations, 19th edn, volume 1 packaged with Perspectives on the Past, volume 1 9780393650402 2017 WW Norton
Fall 20, HIST 142: Western Civ Since 1660 Reading List:
1.McKay, Crowston et al, Understanding Western Society, 2nd ed, vol. 2.
2. Voltaire, Candide
3. Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
4. Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, The Communist Manifesto
5. Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary
6. Victor Klemperer, I Will Bear Witness, 1933-1941
7. Alan Sillitoe, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
Please check Proficiency Exam Info from Student Code for additional information, and consult this webpage for updates.