Proficiency exams are offered for the Fall and Spring Semesters only. We will be offering proficiency testing for HIST 141, 142, 171, and 172. If you are interested in taking a written proficiency exam, please consult the reading list below. An online registration form will be available at this link the week before classes resume. Questions may be directed to the History Department BEFORE the first week of classes. Books are available now via the online Illini Union Bookstore.
Spring 2019 exams dates will be posted immediately before Spring classes start. We reserve the right to cancel any of the test sessions if no eligible students register by the registration deadline.
SP19 HIST 141 Reading List:
- Cole & Symes Western Civilizations, 19th edn, volume 1 packaged with Perspectives on the Past, volume 1 9780393650402 2017 WW Norton
SP19 HIST 142 Reading List:
- Henrik Ibsen A Doll’s House 9780486270623 1992 Dover
- Joseph Conrad Heart of Darkness 9780486475677 2009 Dover
- Primo Levi Survival in Auschwitz 1996 Touchstone
- Slavenka Drakulic How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed 9780684826806 1993.0 Harper/Perrenial
- Lynn Hunt, et.al. The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, Vol II, Since 1500 978-0060975401 2018 Bedford/St.Martin’s
SP19 HIST 171 Reading List:
- Spencie Love One Blood: The Death and Resurrection of Charles Drew 978-0807846827 2000 U North Carolina Press
- Eric Foner Give Me Liberty! An American History Vol 1 978-0393614183 5th - 2017 WW Norton Seagull
- Eric Foner Voices of Freedom: A Documentary History 978-0393614497 5th - 2017 WW Norton Seagull
SP19 HIST 172 Reading List:
- James Roark and Michael P. Johnson The American Promise vol. II Seventh edition. 9781319062002 ©2017 7th edition nl
- Michael P. Johnson Reading the American Past Vol 2 978-0-312-56377-6 2012 5th ed Macmillan
- Jane Addams Twenty Years at Hull House 9780312157067 1999 Bedford Books
Please check Proficiency Exam Info from Student Code for additional information, and consult this webpage for updates.