Proficiency exams are offered for the Fall and Spring Semesters only. We will be offering proficiency testing for HIST 141 and HIST 142. If you are interested in taking a written proficiency exam, please consult the reading list below. An online registration form will be available at this link the week before classes resume. Questions may be directed to the History Department BEFORE the first week of classes. Books are available now via the online Illini Union Bookstore.
The Fall 2019 exam date is:
Tuesday August 27 at 5 PM. Students are allowed 3 hours to complete the exam.
Exams for all four classes will be available at this session; students must be pre-qualified and may test for a maximum of one class per semester. The Department prohibits the retaking of any proficiency examination which a student has failed. Additionally, the Student Code prohibits examination for credit in a subject of elementary character if more than one course has already been taken in the subject. See other restrictions below.
Fall 19 HIST 141: Western Civ to 1660 Reading List:
- Cole & Symes Western Civilizations, 19th edn, volume 1 packaged with Perspectives on the Past, volume 1 9780393650402 2017 WW Norton
Fall 19 HIST 142: Western Civ Since 1660 Reading List:
- Henrik Ibsen A Doll’s House 9780486270623 1992 Dover
- Joseph Conrad Heart of Darkness 9780486475677 2009 Dover
- Primo Levi Survival in Auschwitz 1996 Touchstone
- Slavenka Drakulic How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed 9780684826806 1993.0 Harper/Perrenial
- Lynn Hunt, et.al. The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, Vol II, Since 1500 978-0060975401 2018 Bedford/St.Martin’s
Please check Proficiency Exam Info from Student Code for additional information, and consult this webpage for updates.